Weddings are expensive and the event runs the risk of burdening couples with relationship-crippling debt for years to come. Here are a few tips for planning a memorable yet affordable wedding:
• Develop a budget, prioritising the parts of the wedding that are most important to you and your spouse-to-be; then cut back on expenses in other areas.
• Limit the guest list to close friends and family.
• Hold your ceremony and reception in one location – it will cut down travelling time for suppliers you pay by the hour.
• Shop around when looking for wedding attire.
• If you love a particular photographer but his or her prices are not in your budget, ask them if they have a friend who may be able to photograph your wedding for less.
• Substitute expensive seasonal and local flowers for more less expensive options, or use more greenery.
• Order a small one or two-tiered cake for display; then supplement with a larger sheet cake served from the kitchen.
• Consider a weekend honeymoon nearby and then have a more elaborate trip for your first anniversary.